Friday, May 1, 2009

Unexpected Friends

Friendship is a wonderful thing. Sometimes it comes from such unexpected sources. Real friendship always enriches us and encourages us to be better… to be authentic …. to be more than we can be on our own. I have been blessed to have some unlikely people in my life who have become real friends.

One of those unexpected friends is a sometimes homeless man who was brain damaged in a skiing accident. He has trouble putting words together to speak at times. But he writes beautiful poetry and music. Today he sent me the following poem in honor of my friend Debbie who recently went home to be with the Lord. He was missing her warmth and friendship and thought of sharing it with me.

Beyond the sky
Beyond all telling
Our Father Himself
will be our light
His arms will hold us
And with His hand
He'll wipe away the tears
that stain our eyes
Clay Doyle

His friendship has often warmed my heart and brightened my day. There have been others that have surprised me at unexpected moments. Recently I had a casual conversation with someone and we both realized that we were both experiencing similar problems in our personal lives. We had respected and liked each other, but always smiled our assurances that we were fine. The reality is that for both of us, our lives had blown up around us. I have a feeling that in the months to come, God will begin to knit our hearts together as we get to know each other in new ways…. in more honest ways.

Every day I think I value friendships more
and I mourn those I have lost over time. I am beginning to realize how rare it is to have people who love you, people who pray faithfully for you, people that will stand beside you when life gets tough.

More than anything I want to be that kind of friend to those around me. I want to be authentic, open, accepting and loving. I want to encourage them to grow and learn and find new depth in Christ.

“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13

I guess it will take everything I am ….. but I think that is a good thing.

Just Connie

No comments: