Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Bunker

I am laying here on my bed with my laptop on my stomach, my old senile terrier on my feet while Charlie (Charlotte Anne) my 120 pound sheep dog keeps trying to stick her head under my arm while I am typing. Besides keeping me from being able to see the keyboard, she makes it impossible to actually hit the right keys. I have redone the last sentence 4 times…. now 5 times.

Spring has come to my house. I can tell it is Spring at my house, because Charlie has been doing her spring landscaping. One of Charlie’s breed distinctives is to guard the flock. Of course to guard the flock you need a den to sleep in. So every spring she decides to build a den… IN MY BACK YARD! You need to understand this is not a little hole, this is a bunker you could put a herd of cows in and have room left over. She moves yards and yards of dirt in a very short period of time. I honestly do not know how she does it. I go to work and I come home and I have a brand new back yard. One night I heard something and went running out the back door and fell flat on my face. It seems while I was at work she had built a bunker at the foot of the stairs. That is not where I would have put it.

When I came home tonight, she had a hole that was bigger than I am dug along the fence. And oh boy, she was a mess. She had dirt caked in her hair, her whiskers were caked with mud …. but oh she was happy. Being the poor sport that I am. I went and got a shovel and began to fill the pit back in. I do not understand the physics involved of why there is never enough dirt to fill in the hole that she just dug out? To further discourage her from just re-excavating that spot I drug some firewood over and stacked it up on top of it. I keep thinking she will outgrow this behavior, but she is 8 years old now. I have a feeling this is life time behavior that is hardwired into her.

It is a reminder to me that unlike Charlie, I do not have to be driven my emotions, or urges. I do not want to spend my time digging holes that someone else has to fill in. I guess it comes down to what I will allow to control me.

“You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.” Romans 8:9

That gives me something to ponder while I am filling in the bunkers.

Just Connie

No comments: