Thursday, February 26, 2015

Failure

All my life I have been blessed with a body that was agile and capable. I was a gymnast, a ball player and a competition racquetball player. My body has cooperated for the most part with all of the various thing I have asked of it.

Recently however, I have had my body refusing to do what I am asking it to do. If fact it i absolutely, categorically saying, "no way!"

A couple of months ago I began training with the fire department as a Ropes Rescue Technician. I have been having a wonderful time and I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge and the thrill. Part of the class requires that I climb 20 feet three times. 3 times!

This photo is of my last climb. I climbed about 7 feet and my body was screaming at me, "You are insane! Stop that" The highest I have gotten so far is 10 feet. Everything else I am learning to do well. In fact I love rappelling! It is a thrill to go bouncing down the outside of our hose tower from 4 stories up. But so far, climbing that rope has defeated me.

It has gotten me thinking about failure. Is it failure when I do not reach the height that I need to? I am thinking that perhaps failure is when I stop trying to climb the rope.

So I think it is time for me to climb back into my climbing harness and try, try again ... and again ... and again.

Anyone want to come and climb with me?

Just Connie

No comments: