Thursday, December 31, 2015

Reflections for a New Year

The last day of the year ... Tomorrow is the beginning of a brand new year. The first week of January will also mark the seven year anniversary of being on my own. It is hard to believe that it was just seven years ago that I quietly crept out of the house at 2:00 in the morning seeking safety in a world that had suddenly turned upside down.

Seven years has brought me a lot of healing and a greater understanding of what had brought me to that dark and frightening night. It has also brought compassion for the man who in his own hurt and brokenness, hurt me.

Here are some of the things that I have learned in the last 7 years.

1. I am not defined by the things that have happened to me.

2.  There is healing and life beyond the hurt.

3.  Being alone is okay.

4.  Forgiveness is real and ongoing.

5.  People do not always understand your journey.

6.  People do not have to understand my journey .... I need to,understand it.

7.  Living in honesty and openness can be scary.

8.  Living in honesty and openness is worth it.

9.  Love is worth the risk.

10. I cannot out give God or His love.

My prayer is that I will continue to learn and to grow as I continue my journey. I also pray for all of those who feel trapped and afraid tonight. I pray that they will find freedom, healing and the reality of God's love.

Looking forward to the year ahead ....

Just Connie

No comments: