Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Backpack 2012

Here is our group at the trail head ready to begin our trip. This year we had 4 children hiking with us. Ages 9, 7, 7 and 4.

Hiking with young children added a new complexity to the entire experience as well as a new richness. It was so much fun to point things out on the trail and to see them experiencing things for the very first time.

It also challenged me to be stronger and more together to make sure they were protected and that it was a good experience for them.

We saw some incredible beauty and I feel so fortunate that we could see what so few people get to experience for themselves. It was worth the sweat, the dirt and the sore muscles.

I have to say that hiking with the kids was entertaining. I do not remember when I have laughed so much. To see them catch their first fish and their reactions was sheer delight.

We are already planning next year's hike. I think I will spend a few days writing about some of our experiences on the trail.

It was a wonderful trip but I am glad to be home.

Just Connie

No comments: