Sunday, September 23, 2012

Deer Hunting

I have spent the last two days in a flurry of packing and preparation. Tomorrow morning bright and early I pull out to spend a week with my family deer hunting.

Deer hunting in my family is a huge gathering ... aunts, cousins, nieces, nephews ... everybody comes. It is a time to enjoy being together and enjoy being outdoors. It is less about the deer and more about being family. I have not been able to be with the family for the annual hunting trip for almost 20 years.

Tonight I am staying with mom and dad helping them pack the last of their gear for a two week trip. Then we will begin the long trek to Eastern Oregon. I am looking forward to be with my family and looking forward to getting to know the new area they are hunting in since I used to go with them.

I have to say there is also a little bit of nervousness. I do not spend much extended time with  my family and sometimes I have to admit that I feel like an outsider. But still I am choosing to look for ways to connect and to let my family know that they are important to me.

Because they are important to ome and I love them ... and that is enough.

Just Connie

No comments: