Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Shoulder Thoughts

About a year ago my shoulders starting aching at night. Being a mature adult I said to myself, "Suck it up Sissy Pants!". But over the past year it has gotten progressively worse until shoulder pain is waking me up every night.

I finally decided to go and see my doctor, I really expected him to say, "Hey you are old, and 35 years of softball, 10 years of gymnastic, 20 years of competitive racquetball and assorted injuries ... what do you expect?" I was very surprised when he did not say any of those things, instead he x-rayed me and then referred me for physical therapy.

Yesterday I saw the physical therapist for the first time. And the first thing I found out was that he was not overly impressed with my "Suck it up Sissy Pants", way of treating injuries. The next thing I found was that he could put his finger on the exact tendons that were causing me problems. (He is very, very fortunate that his hand was no where near my mouth, because I swear I would have bit him at that point)

The outcome of all of that poking and prodding was that I was given a set of exercises to do at home and a series of appointments with him to try and open up that shoulder joints so that the tendons can heal. Hooray things I can do at home, I am all for that!

Like most medical professionals, he had  good news and bad news for me. The good news is that I do not have to curtail any of my activities ... and yes I told him everything that I do from rope climbing to hauling 50 pound sacks of feed. The bad news is that because I waited so long to come in, there might be scar tissue on that tendon. Which means to heal, it will have to be stripped off. The process of stripping it off is .... well not pleasant as I understand it.

So I am faithfully doing my exercises and planning for there to be no scar tissue.

I mean what scar tissue would dare .... right?

Just Connie

No comments: