Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Adventuring

A couple of years ago when it became evident that whatever was making me sick was not going to go away quickly, lead me to make a decision. I decided that I had to keep moving and keep exercising. I stepped up my yoga classes, I trained with the Ropes Rescue Team, I did whatever I could to keep moving and not become a lump in bed. Sometimes this meant I spent most of the class laying on my yoga mat wheezing, or there was the memorable night when I could not breath and the paramedics in my class noticed my lips had turned blue. But I have kept trying.

This summer I picked up a couple of new activities and took a kayak class and then began paddle boarding. Of course I love anything that allows me to be out in the water, so both of those activities were good matches for me. And of course both of those activities kept me moving.

This past weekend I headed to the Willamette River outside of Dundee and spent four hours paddling the river.

Behind me you can see my adventure friend and community paramedic, Tami. It was a gorgeous day and there is something about being out in the midst of the wilds that always blesses me.

I paddled back to shore after four hours of exploring, with my nose a bit sunburned and feeling good. I am so grateful to have these opportunities to continue to stretch myself.

I think there are many more of these adventures ahead for me. I just need to keep moving ahead and to be determined to never give up. Besides, Tami and I are already planning our next trip.

The adventure continues ......

Just Connie

No comments: