Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Laughter is the Best Medicine

One of the things I have made a commitment to is to be in yoga classes every day that they are available and I can somehow make it. That has meant over the past year that I get up at 4:45 and head to a nearby community for early morning yoga class. And on several nights a week it means evening yoga classes that begin at 8pm. On Mondays that means 3 yoga classes. One in the morning and 2 back to back classes in the evening. Yoga has been very good for me. It keeps me moving, helps my lungs to breath deep and is especially helpful when I am on treatment.

I am very blessed by my yoga instructor who is also my primary care doctor. He keeps a close eye on me during classes and I help out by unlocking for class, setting up the studio for each class and checking people into class.

Normally I am so thrilled to be in class and look forward to challenge of encouraging my body to stretch and move. However, yesterday all I wanted to do was go home, crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head. But I had two back to back classes to help with. So though my mind was in turmoil, I put a smile on my face and headed to class. I did pretty well before class as I greeted people and heard about their weekends. But once the lights were dimmed and we were into class I found it very difficult to "stay in the moment". At several points I fund tears rolling down my face as I contemplated what a new course of treatment would bring. But I made it through class and waved goodbye to everyone as I waited for the next class to arrive.

As I waited the outside door opened and in tumbled two of my ministerial students, laughing, giggling and ready to tease. I laughed when I saw them and felt some of the turmoil in my mind move away as I invited them to stay for class. So for the next hour I exercised as they teased me, stole my phone, took selfies with my phone(I now have a new background photo) and shared their joy with me. At the end of class I hugged them and told them God had sent them to me. It was an incredible gift of joy when my heart was hurting.

As I have reflected on that gift, several things occurred to me. First of all, I did not know that I needed them, but God did. Second of all, they did not know that I needed them, but God did. and thirdly, laughter as we are told in Scripture is good medicine.

I am thankful for good medicine from the God who knows every cell and every molecule of my body.

 
"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22
 
Just Connie

No comments: