Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Finding My Bliss

One of the joys I have in life is my work with the Fire Department. In so many ways it keeps me fresh and gives me joy. One of the things I have always enjoyed, is being part of drills. Not only do I get to work alongside people I like and respect, but I am learning things that are highly unusual for a  woman my age. I am also getting to know crew members in a whole new way.

Knowing how good it has been for me, I was rather taken aback yesterday as I was conducting interviews at the Fire Department. We are getting ready to hire a new Community Paramedic. As we interviewed one man we asked about his fire skills and he made the comment that at his age he didn't really want to go into burning buildings. I looked down at his resume and quickly calculated. The man was 9 years younger than I was! It was all I could do to not laugh. But I schooled my face into a professional demeanor and got through the interview. As we discussed the merits of the candidate, I brought up his statement and we all laughed as I pointed out that I was older by far and I was training with the crews.

It got me thinking about our perspective in life. I am always excited to learn new things and look for the experiences that will keep me young. I felt in many ways that this man had decided that he was old and needed to do things that were appropriate for his advanced age. I rather think that would be a joyless way to live. And thinking back he did not smile much during his interview.

I want to live fully, I want to learn, I want to run towards the burning houses. I want to rappel off buildings and get certified for water rescue. All of the things I have been filling my life with. I think I would rather live my life and have it filled with joy, than to be safe and surrounded by the mundane.

But that is just me, and everyone has to find their own path and their own bliss. Who knew that mine would be found as I jumped off the edge of a 4 story structure?

Just Connie

1 comment:

Just Connie said...

Very well said and a great perspective that Grammy's lived by