Friday, January 13, 2012

Work in Progress

I came to a sudden stop as I looked up at the angry drunk man in front of me. As I listened, I found myself trying to unobtrusively edge around him. At first I thought he was just a random angry drunk and then I realized that some of the tirade was actually directed at me.

With shaking hands I tried to get the key in the car door as he began to move away from me. For a block and a half he yelled at me as he walked off. I sat in the car and tried to gather my thoughts and make some sense of what had just happened.

I have to admit that I still cannot quite wrap my mind around it. This was a man I knew casually in the community. I have never had any type of altercation or disagreement with him. We often stop to chat as he walks around the community.But this .... this was disturbing and it was downright scary.

As I have thought about it I have come to realize that some of my fright stems from my past experiences with angry drunk men. That reminds me that I still have some healing to do at that point. It is times like this that I am reminded that I still carry the scars of being in an abusive relationship. But scars can be healed.

I am a work in progress and that is not a bad thing.

Just Connie

1 comment:

caro_watt said...

Hi hon - so sorry this happened to you and glad you were safe. I am praying for you as you continue your healing. It is so hard sometimes, isn't it? I love you!