Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Citizen of the Year


I beat a fast retreat from my conference and headed to my next commitment. It was time for our annual Chamber of Commerce Dinner and this year we were meeting at a local farm for barbeque. I gathered up the dishes I had cooked the night before and joined my fellow Chamber members.

The sun was trying to peak out from behind the clouds that had delivered rain all day as I loaded my plate with food. As I looked around I realized how these people had become friends over the past three years. I had worked alongside them, laughed with them and been challenged by them.

The Chamber President and Treasurer stood and called us to order. It was time for our annual Chamber Awards given to those who have excelled in the community during the past year. I listened and applauded as our local Restaurant Coyote Joes was given "Restaurant of the year" award. I enthusiastically applauded in agreement as Mary Jane Hollinger was given the Volunteer of the year award. Then it was time for the Citizen of the Year award given to someone who has excelled in serving the community and promoting community events and activities. I listened as they began to list the qualities they saw evidenced in the award winner and I could not imagine who this paragon was. It was in complete disbelief that I finally realized they were calling my name.

Embarrassed and in disbelief I stumbled forward and managed to stammer my thanks. I am still in a state of shock. I really do not feel that I have done anything outstanding. I have just done what I have wanted to. I still do not think I deserve it .... but I am so very grateful for their good wishes.

I want my life to make a difference and maybe just maybe .... I am doing something right.
Just Connie

No comments: