Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Crazy Lady

I get to do lots of fun things as a pastor. One of the things I love to do is candidate testing at the Fire Department.  They set up several stations where candidates are tested and scored. They are tested in a Fire scenario, paramedic skills, general knowledge and conflict resolution. I always get the honor of being part of the conflict resolution testing.

This year the scenario I was given is that a Fire Truck knocked my mailbox down. I was supposed to be angry and come to the Fire Hall demanding answers. In other words I got to yell, try to intimidate and be an all around pain in the neck. In other words I got to play and have lots of fun.

As each candidate came in we explained the scenario and then I would begin my yelling. The expressions on the face of the candidates were priceless. Some recovered very well and others ... well not so much. It was especially hard for the candidates who knew me, they could not reconcile the person they knew and this yelling, screaming maniac.

My favorite response of the day was one young man who asked if I could identify the driver of the truck. When I told they were wearing a fireman's uniform and a helmet ... he responded, ""was it me?" It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

All in all, it was a great day. I had fun, met lots of people and totally convinced a new generation of firemen that pastors are absolutely nuts.

Yep ... ministry is wonderful!

Just Connie


No comments: