Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Fire on the 4th of July

It was blistering hot, when my pager went off. I picked up the phone saying, "Please don't be a fire, please don't be a fire". I looked at the screen and saw, "Wild land Fire". I jumped in my car and headed to the station where I threw my turnouts in the back of the fire rig and headed out of the parking lot with the lights flashing. Driving quickly towards the scene I could see the column of smoke curling over the hill, long before I got there.

I parked the rig at the foot of the hill and began the long, long trek up the hill to the fire which had now moved to involve a house. By the time I reached the top I was soaked with sweat and looking for the nearest piece of shade. When I had recovered I began walking the scene and snapping photos.




The day wore on as the stubborn fire kept burning. Energy flagged and the heat was exhausting. Crews were swapped out quicker and quicker aas the heat took its toll.



About 2 hours in the fire, Channel 12 showed up and I had the joy of hiking back down the mile long driveway to meet with them. When I told them that they would have to walk back up the driveway way with me, I thought the camera man was going to cry. By then it was about 100 degrees. But the deputy took pity on us and drove us up the hill. Over the next 30 minutes I answered questions and talked about what we knew of the origin of the fire. (Fireworks caused)

But finally, 5 hours later I was standing in the home with the Chief and the homeowner. I looked down and we were standing in ankle deep water, (that you could still see the once beautiful hardwood floors beneath) water was streaming down on us through the holes in the roof that had to be cut to vent the fire. We slowly walked through together as the homeowner came to terms with his loss.

Then it was time to head back to the station and begin the process of paperwork and media calls. Including a call from the sheriff himself  requesting me to get all of these media people taken care of because they were calling him! It was about then that I went to the restroom to wash my hands for the meal that was being prepared and looked in the mirror. I marched out of the restroom and said to the guys, "Not one of you could have told me that my face was covered in soot?" They laughed and it was impossible to not laugh with them. And it felt so very good to laugh. But finally everything was done, all the media had what they needed until I had edited my photos and began the press releases. But that could wait till tomorrow.  So it was about 10:30 when I drug myself out of the station and headed home, sweaty, sooty and very smelly.

As I gratefully threw my freshly showered and scrubbed self on the bed I reflected on the day and everything I experienced. I am so thankful to be able to minister at such a critical time in people's lives. I hope that the victims and the crews can feel my love and support in real and tangible ways.

I really think I have the bet job in the world! And tomorrow I preach! It is a good life ...

Just Connie

No comments: