Saturday, April 30, 2016

What A Day!

Over the past week, a familiar fight began when the chronic infections began to flare up since I am not on gamma globulin treatments right now. Which means that my lungs began to shut down. I am blessed with a family Dr who is a personal friend. He keeps a very close eye on me and in facts sees me in his yoga classes about 8 times a week, besides the very frequent Dr appointments with him.

Over the past week he has been having me text him updates through the day. This morning I texted him the unwelcome news that I was much worse. Wheezing, very short of breath, horrible sinus pain and so on. He texted back to come and meet him at the office.  I texted back that I had a 10 am funeral to do. So he told me to "Come now! I am  leaving the house for the office."

So after listening to my lungs and poking all the things that needed poking, he concurred that the sinus infection had flared up and the macrolide treatment I had been on for over three weeks was not getting this bacteria. He put me n a new antibiotic, increased the neb treatments and waved me off to go do my funeral, with renewed instructions to keep him updated.

The funeral was beautiful. A couple of hundred people to celebrate his life. The service began with a drum flag raising ceremony. The tribe provided the drummers and singers and the Fire Department provided the aerial ladder truck and raised the flags. It was very moving and it made me glad for the ethnic diversity of our community.

The rest of the service went well though I was pretty hoarse and became increasingly short of breath as the service went on. By the end of the service I was pretty miserable and gasped out to the Chief that I was going home. He took one look at me and called the paramedics over to do an emergency breathing treatment. When I protested he said, "Don't make me tell you to shut up and sit down." Knowing better than to argue when he used that tone I sat down. After treatment, the Chief and the crew checked me out and decided since the blue in my lips had gotten better they would not transport me to the hospital. Sticking my tongue out at the Chief (because I am so incredibly mature) I put in my opinion.

I have spent the rest of the day dozing, taking all of my meds, including the dreaded (and avoided cough medicine) sending regular updates to my Dr and the Fire Chief (who was now insisting on it). And being thankful for my neighbor man who ran to the hardware store and got pellets for my pellet stove so I would actually have heat in the house.

I have to admit that being home and not going too long between treatments does make a difference. And I have to admit that it makes a difference having friends who care enough to lean on me to update them.

And grateful for friends that make sure I have everything I need at the house.

No comments: