Monday, May 2, 2016

The Things I Do

"You are doing too much!" That seems to be a common complaint from family and friends. I usually laugh and go and do what I want, but I can tell that it completely baffles them why I am not curled up on the couch with a good book. "You are ill, you need to rest" is usually the second half of the complaint. I know that they are concerned for me and that they want me to be healthy, but it seems very difficult to explain why I do the things I do.

When you are diagnosed with a life threatening disease it causes you to evaluate your life. It causes you to figure out what is important and what you want to do with the days that are remaining to you. For me it brought me some new understanding of the things that drive me and the things that are truly my core beliefs.

God First. I want to live my life in a way that is pleasing to God, a life that will prove the reality of His existence, a life that is guided, empowered and focused.

Family Matters. I want my family to know that I love them, that I pray for them and  somehow let them know that they are important to me.

I Want My Life to Make a Difference.  I want to live my life in such a way that it changes the world or at least my little part of it. I want to serve and invest in people's lives in such a way that it makes their lives better, makes them better..

I Want To Grow. I want to challenge myself and learn new things.

I Want To Serve. I want to serve the people around me, serve the church and serve the community.

I do not know how many days are left to me. I guess no one does. But I want to live the days I have left with enthusiasm and joy. I do not want to spend it weeping on the couch at the unfairness of life. I want to embrace each moment, seek new  challenges and I want to love abundantly.

So I will push myself to do things even when I do not feel like it, even when I do not feel good. I am going to hike, ski and paddleboard. I am going to go to yoga classes and rappel off buildings. I am going to throw my turnouts on and head out with the Fire Department. I am going to live ... live well, live fully and live doing the things that breathes life into me.

I am going to live the moments ... because when you come right down to it, it is all any of us have.

Just Connie

No comments: