Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Good to Serve

I had just curled up on my bed,meeting ready to take a nap. (This sabbatical I am on has given me napping opportunities). And that is when my Fire Department pager went off. Scanning it, I saw it was a mental health emergency.  I thought, well if they need me they will call.

It was just as I was drifting off to sleep, that my phone rang. On the other end was one of our paramedics. As he quickly explained the situation he asked me what they should do? They had a young man who would not communicate and would not get in the back of the ambulance. He had a long history of mental illness and had taken meds in years. His mother was frantic to get him help and was worried about the family safety.

Since he was a legal adult and his parents did not have medical power of attorney, I explained they could not force him in the ambulance if he was not an imminent danger to himself or others. I heard the sigh, as the paramedic struggled to figure out what to do. Finally he said, "Can you come?

So I jumped in the car and headed to the scene. Upon arrival I found the young man standing in the full sun at the back of the ambulance. As I introduced myself I saw with relief that his eyes were tracking me. I saw with dismay how tense he was and how nervous we were making him. Telling people to move back, I began to softly talk to him. Each time I asked him if he would allow us to take him to the ambulance he shook his head.

I told him that I could see I was making him nervous so I would move back to the porch. In a few minutes he followed me there, but still refused transport or to allow us to take his vitals. I went in the house to explain to his mother that we could not force him. As her eyes filled with tears, I felt my own eyes tear up. I know first hand how frightening it is to watch a lived one slip away into their mental illness. I know the fear of living with the danger and the confusion with very few answers. I finally told her that I would make one more try, but then we would have to leave.

Walking back out to the porch, I gently began to question him about what he was feeling and experiencing. With amazement, I heard him say in a whisper, "I don't like it". "Let us help you then. Won't you come to the ambulance with me?"  And with relief I saw him nod his head. So I walked to the back of the ambulance, climbed in and held my hand out to him. As he slowly put his hand in mine, I was throwing up prayers of gratitude as I settled him onto the gurney.

And as we took the 20 minute drive to the hospital he began to speak to me. At the hospital as we transferred him into the examining room, I gently laid my hand on his arm and asked him if I could pray with him before I left. After prayer, I told him that I would be praying for him and explained that I would be leaving.

As I climbed back into the ambulance, I was filled with a strong sense that I was doing just what God had created me to do. There is real joy in knowing you are where a God wants you to be doing the things that he is calling us to do. Even when it is hard, even when it is inconvenient, even when it makes me miss my nap. I am so thankful for the opportunities I have been given here to serve. I am being stretched in new ways, in wonderful and unexpected ways.

Besides that I was given another gift on the ride back to the station when one of the paramedics turned to me and said, "Hey, the Chaplain did more than I did on this call". Laughing at his chagrin, I said, "Yeah, but you get the joy of finishing the chart!" I am surprised he refrained from throw something at me. I am lucky he is so nice!

It is good to serve and it is even better to serve with those who are a joy to work with.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Just Connie said...

well done and well written. Thank you