Monday, September 21, 2015

A Different Kind of Night

Saturday, I got dressed and drove my parents down to our local Community Center. I knew that this was going to be a very different kind of evening, but I had no idea how very different it was going to be for me.

Several months ago, when I was diagnoised with a Primary Immune Deficiency, I knew that I had a huge financial hurdle to overcome. But somehow I had an incredible sense of peace as I would pray about it. I did not know how, but I knew that somehow God was going to make all of this possible.

It was about 3 months ago, when the Chamber of Commerce came to me and told me they were planning a fundraiser for me to help with medical expenses as I journeyed through this diagnoisis. It has been with some self conciousness that I have heard some of the things they were planning for this event.  I really did not feel worthy of all that work of this kind of love and support. But every time I would struggle with this, I would feel God's touch and His reminder that it really was not all about me.

The first thing I noticed as I walked up to the Community Center was the smell of roasting pig that was donated by our local Community member. It  had been cooking over the coals all day long. The next thing I noticed as I walked in were the beautiful decorations and tables with table clothes and centerpieces. Everything looked wonderful. There were long tables stretched out for the food that a local restaurant had donated. There were more long tables for all of the auction items that people had been donating for this event. By the door there was this immense donation jar and I laughed to see my dad dropping money in the jar. "Haven't I cost you enough yet?" I teased as I watched him. There was another table selling the raffle tickets for the Henry Rifle that they had been selling tickets to all summer and another table displaying the gun itself.

Mom and I began to slowly walk down the auction tables looking at what people had donated in their love and generosity. But the time I reached the end of the first table I was crying. I could not believe that so many people were willing to help. While I continued to look at the donations, the band was setting up to play .... A live band .... A fabulous band.

And then the band began and people began arriving, dancing, making bids on the auction items and the room began to fill with laughter, voices and music. Dinner was soon big served as a mode and moor people streamed o the room. They brought in more chairs and more chairs and more chairs and still people came.

I walked around greeting people as they came in and trying to duck out of my mother's reach who was trying to get me to slow down and rest.  I was becoming more and more amazed as I watched everything that was happening. Then I was called up on stage and they gave a brief explanation of my diagnosis and treatment. Then they shared some of the things I do around town and the different hats I wear. By the time they asked me to come and say something, I was crying again, totally overwhelmed by this gift of love and support as I struggled to find words to express the depths of my gratitude and my love for all of them.

I was given a quilt made for me in a firefight motif to warm me on treatment days and remind me that I am loved. And of course that just made me cry even harder. But finally it was time for th final drawing and to say goodbye to everyone who had come out for this event.

They raised a lot of money which will cover my treatment costs for the next couple of years, but more portably, they reminded me that I am loved, that I am not in this alone.

And that is a very important reminder ....

Just Connie

No comments: