Monday, September 21, 2015

The Phone Call

I just received a phone call from a man I have not spoken to in about 30 years. When I knew him he was a young man in his 20's who really struggled with poor choices. Drugs and prison seemed to be an endless circle for him. I spent a lot of time with him in through those years, advocating for him, getting him into treatment programs and of course visiting with him.

I have often thought of him over the years and prayed for him as he came to mind. But I always had this nagging feeling that I must have failed him somehow.  I had no idea where he was and how he was doing. Today's phone called filled me in and lifted me up as he shared. He had tracked me down to tell me thank you for saving his life. He has been clean and sober for 27 years. He is married, living in Florida and has built a good life.

I wanted to dance and sing as he shared with me. It was a good reminder to me that I am not called to "fix people". I am called to love and faithfulness. It is God's job to restore, it is mine to pray.

How grateful I am that this man took the time to track me down to say thank you. How thrilled I am for his restored life and hope. As a pastor it truly reminds me what this job is all about.

And that is a pretty good reminder to get .....

Just Connie

No comments: