Friday, September 4, 2015

A Normal Day

My days are often filled with a myriad of things. This week has been no exception. I thought I would give you an idea of what Wednesday was like.

It began when I hopped out of bed at 6:00 and drug myself to the shower. In reality I really, really did not want to get up when the alarm clock rang .... however I had a stack of commitments I needed to meet.

By 8:00 I was at Coyote Joe's Restaurant with the Minutes from the last meeting to pass out. For the next hour I took minutes, while we discussed a variety of current projects and problems that we are working on. And in spite of what you hear, I am NOT in charge of the nude beach project.

From there I headed to the office to finish up my sermon and try to get the music laid out for Sunday morning service at the Church Camp Out. As I was working, I had a steady stream of drop in visitors. Some with problems, some who just wanted to chat. But in between visitors I actually was able to get the sermon done and printed.

As I was locking up the office, I was stopped by a man who really needed diapers for his grand child and some milk and other grocery perishables. So I went back in and wrote a small check and a note to our local grocery store and was able to send off a very happy man.

That was about the time I remembered that I had not eaten any lunch, but I still needed to make a trip into Sheridan. So I decided to head into Sheridan and get some of the errands done before I ate lunch. I went the bank and picked up the new Benevolence checks, I stopped at Sheridan City Hall to talk to the City Manager about a community project and finally ran and picked up prescriptions at the Pharmacy.

It was while I was at the pharmacy that I got the text to stop in at the Fire Hall to sign checks. So I popped into the Fire Hall and signed checks and looked at the specs for a new rig we were considering, gave all the crew a hard time, talked with the chief abut a personnel issue, talked with the clerk about the Board Policy review I have been working on and .... finally about an hour later was  heading home.

From there I dropped a form off at my doctor's, and stopped at the grocery store where I bought lunch/dinner because now it was 4:00 and picked up some supplies for the Church Camp Out. Loading the groceries in the car, I headed home to let out a very grateful dog and filled my plate with lunch/dinner. As I was beginning to eat, there was a knock on the door. It was a close friend whose mother had just passed away. We talked for the next hour about how the family was doing and was honored when they asked me to do the service.

I waved goodbye to him and walked back to pick up my plate and eat as much as I could as I headed to the kitchen to put it away. It was time to change my clothes for yoga class and head to the church where I was meeting my "phone guy" who  would be helping me dump the very inefficient cell phone carrier I currently  had and sign up with a new carrier with my new phone.

It sounded so easy when he asked me to call my provider and get my account number. However after I had been put on hold multiple times and transferred 3 times, I was beginning to get very frustrated. I made the mistake of telling them I was frustrated. Next thing I knew I was transferred once again, only this time to a Spanish speaking person who rattled off a long line of Spanish. By then I was at the end of my rope and said, "Are you kidding me? No habla espanol`" After a very short conversation with him (in English) I was transferred once again to someone who eventually gave me the account number.

But of course by that time my yoga class was half way over and we had not even begun the transfer process yet. Over the next hour and a half we got through the transfer process until we were just waiting for the old carrier to let go and the new carrier to kick in. At 9:00 pm we called it quits and I headed home with a phone that was not operational yet.

As I prepared for bed, I thought of all the things I did not get finished and sighed.

But ... tomorrow is a new day with endless possibilities. I am pretty sure there will be more hours in tomorrow ..... right?

Just Connie

No comments: