Monday, November 19, 2012

Locked In

I sighed and rolled out of bed. My clock said it was 6 am and that meant it was time to get up and get my day started. I blearily stumbled to my bedroom door and turned the doorknob .... nothing happened. I looked down in disbelief at my hand as I jiggled the door knob. For the next 10 minutes I pushed, jiggled and turned the knob trying to get my door opened. The door stayed stubbornly locked.

I began pounding on the door hoping that my son would hear me from his room. I knew I had been successful when I heard him come barreling out of his room ready to shoot the intruders who were trying to break in. I stood there with my head against the door saying, "It's me! It's me! I am locked in my room". His response was  ... "What do you mean, you're locked in?" As I struggled to form a response to that was even slightly socially acceptable, I finally choked out, "Locked in ... like the door will not open".

So for the next 20 minutes he jiggled the door knob from his side and I tried from my side. He finally decided to force it open .... that only put a hole in the door where his shoulder hit it. He finally went in and put his boots on and kicked the door knob until it broke.

I then went and got my screw driver and took the whole door knob assembly off the door so it would not lock me back into my room. As I did that it dawned on me that if I had had a screw driver set in my bedroom I could have avoided a lot of the mornings events. Note to self....  new screw driver set is now on my Christmas List.

Now I need to go shopping for a new bedroom door and a new door knob. Hopefully I will be able to find something that will not decide to arbitrarily lock me into my bedroom.

Hmmm ... I wonder if it was sabotage, do doorknobs take bribes?

Just Connie

No comments: