Monday, April 7, 2014

Being a Pastor

I got to spend a day with friends this weekend. I so rarely get to do that. It was a wonderful break from treatment and recovery. We did a little bit of shopping and I actually finally replaced the Bluetooth earpiece I lost on the nightmare drive home from Northern Washington the day before I went into the hospital. We had a wonderful dinner together and then went to see the movie "God's Not Dead".


The movie was interesting. It was not the best actors and some might even call some of the movie cheesy but overall I was glad I had watched it and it left me with a very positive feeling. I do recommend it as being worthwhile to watch.


One of the things that bothered me was that the pastor was depicted as being rather uninvolved and uncaring. It seemed that he spent lot of time doing stuff but was not very well connected spiritually. Pastors so often get a bad rap I was disappointed that they fell back on the stereotype when the pastorate is so much more.


For me to serve as a pastor is life and breath ... it is not about the "stuff" it is about the people. It is about making a difference and leaving lives and community better and stronger. It is about reflecting the love of God in everything I do and everything I am. it is about bringing the Scriptures alive to live ion the hearts of God's people. I have said it before ... being a pastor is the best and the hardest job in the world.


And there is nothing else I would rather be doing.


Just Connie