Thursday, May 28, 2009

More and Less

It is good to be home. I enjoy and appreciate all that I learn when I go to training conferences, but I have to admit that this was not one of my most successful trips. In fact there was both more and less than I was expecting in this trip.

The trip started out on a difficult note for me, when Gerrald wanted to meet with me. It grew to mountain like proportions when he stood me up and didn’t show up. That not only means that I didn’t see him and we did not get the opportunity to talk about the future, but it meant that there were no signed papers to bring home to file at the courthouse this week. You can read my blog for those 2-3 days and see my struggle to process that whole event, but I kept trying to focus on the conference and what I could learn from this.

Tuesday night, a group of us went out to dinner together. We rode a very crowded city bus. It was standing room only and we were wedged in there pretty tightly. One of my co-workers was talking on his cell phone, turned suddenly and planted his elbow on my cheekbone. My knees buckled, my eyes watered and I thought my face had just broken in half. I made it through dinner but I spent the rest of the evening with an ice pack on my face.

I got up the next morning and shrieked when I saw myself. I had a very impressive black eye. Nothing makes you feel like a beautiful woman as when you look like you have been taking a beating in a bar brawl. I slathered on the makeup and have been trying to laugh and make the best of it. People are sympathetic … well they try to be but eventually the laughter just bubbles out. I have to admit that it is pretty ridiculous. I am hoping that it will fade quickly in the next couple of days and the throb will lessen.

So I came home with no separation papers (less than I was expecting) and a black eye. (more than I was expecting). I do not know that I could have been prepared for either of these events. But I definitely think I need to learn how to duck.

“Fight the good fight of the faith” 1 Timothy 6:12

Just Connie

No comments: