Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day Thoughts

Mother’s Day is coming and that always makes me introspective. Mother’s Day brings so many emotions welling up within me. Grief and loss, happiness and joy … mingled together. Sometimes it is hard to sort out exactly what I am feeling and to know what it is I am experiencing. This year with so many emotions already swirling around me I find that I would like to sleep through Mother’s Day.

I lost three babies as a young woman and ended up having a hysterectomy at age 23. It was a time of great pain and turmoil for me as I came to grips with the certain knowledge that I was childless and would never have children. To my amazement, I was able to adopt two beautiful children just days after their birth. Over the years I have loved them, disciplined them, encouraged them, cried and laughed with them and sorrowed over them. In other words I was a mother.

Our culture makes a big deal out of this one day that seeks to honor those who mother. I believe that this day is for more than just those who give birth. I think that every woman has something to celebrate on Mother’s Day because every woman will be called on to nurture and mother someone. It might be small children or teens or a young adult, it might be an aging parent that you mother. But the gift of love and service is worthy of recognition.

So for me and all the other women who mother not from the”fruit of our wombs” but from the fruit of our hearts, I say let’s celebrate.

"May the LORD make you increase, both you and your children" Psalm 115:14

Just Connie

1 comment:

Raine said...

Yes, mothering children is perhaps the most noble task for a mother's love is reflective of God's caring, selfless love for His people. I'm still a young girl and am very far from being a mother, but I experience this selfless love from my own mother everyday. And I know this is the same kind of love you have for your children too. Happy mother's day! =)