Monday, November 28, 2011

Family

Family has always been important to me. For me family has been a place to love and be loved unconditionally. As a teen I was not anxious to spread my wings and leave the warmth and safety of my family. family has been a a large part of defining who I am in the world.

About 13 years ago my life took a drastic turn that changed the entire structure of my family. The thing that had given me stability and support was suddenly gone. It thrust me into a whole new life. Unwelcome, but all too real.

I struggled to learn how to live in my new life and little by little I learned to navigate through my new world. Over time my life gained many positive things, but within me was a continual sense of grief over my "aloneness".

These past two weeks with my son has filled a void I had almost forgotten was there. It has been wonderful to have someone else in the house. Yes there are differences and it means that I must share my space, but it is worth it to have family with me once again.

So I am enjoying this time and enjoying my new family. With the realization that this is temporary, comes the realization that I need to cherish these moments. Each of these moments are gift. And I rather think that this gift will enrich my life in ways I cannot even forsee right now.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Kay said...

I am so glad you have time together. I also cherish each moment with my kids and grandkids. Hugs to all-- K