Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Man in the House

Over the years of my singleness,  there have been certain things that  have been pretty overwhelming for me on my own. Things like doors that will not open, locks that won't lock, broken moldings, leaky roofs and so on. Every once in a while I will ask for help when something gets in a critical state, but I never really share all the 101 little things that are actually wrong with the house when they come to work on something. I always have this slight feeling of embarrassment that I cannot do this myself. Or perhaps it would be accurate to say that I feel I should be able to do this.

Over the last week, it became evident that I would soon have a house guest. Yesterday my guest arrived .... my 28 year old son and his dog Hennesee. My song Tony has not even been here a full day yet and already there is a huge difference in having a man around the house.

He started by fixing my entry closet that would not open and close. Today he is cleaning out my garage and starting a burn pile. He has already made a list of doors that are warped, paint that is uneven and was happily making a long list of repairs that he can do.

I am discovering that even though it interrupts my daily routine, I really like having someone in the house. I am looking forward to cooking a dinner for someone besides me and having someone to converse with over dinner.

In fact I think I might be able to get used to having a man in the house. This is rather nice ....

Just Connie

1 comment:

caro_watt said...

So hard for me to envision Tony as a "man." How wonderful for you to have him (and Hennesee) there to help you and keep you company. Watch some Star Trek together for me, will you?