Monday, November 7, 2011

Hunt For Gold 2011

I spent the afternoon traversing canyons, crawling under and over logs and gazing out over misty vistas. I was hunting ... hunting for elusive gold. The hunt had pulled me out of my office and lured me to remote hills on a rainy November afternoon. Hope puppy was bouncing at my side as searched through moss and ferns for that glint of gold.

We hiked and searched and then .... there it was .... a beautiful golden Chantrelle mushroom. I knelt and pulled my knife out as I softly pulled the moss and pine needles away. It was with great satisfaction that I continued the search.

Four hours later, tired, wet, muddy and satisfied I loaded a very happy Hope Puppy and 6 pounds of fresh mushrooms into my rig.

I really enjoy these treks, it is a lot like a treasure hunt. But even more than the fresh mushrooms, I love being outside. I love the smell of fir trees and damp moss. I love the gentle patter of rain as I see misty vistas that not everyone gets to see.

It is good to have an excuse to be out in the fresh air and the woods that I love .... I wonder what I can hunt after mushrooms are out of season?

Just Connie

No comments: