Monday, September 9, 2013

Life Hurts

This broken collarbone has reminded me that life hurts! I notice it more in the simple ways than the great big ways. It is reaching for something and having my collarbone scream a protest, it is driving over the railroad tracks too fast and paying the same price. It just plain hurts!

The doctor has given me painkillers, but I do not like to take them during the day, or when I am driving around, or on an empty stomach .... can you see the problem? I took half a pill at bed time last night which actually helps me sleep. But you do not really get the same quality of sleep on narcotics as you do without them. I feel groggy when I try to find the alarm clock in the morning.

I am also reminded of why I do not like narcotics ... they make me fuzzy and not in a cute little kitten kind of way. More like in a drooling, mindless mess kind of fuzzy. It is hard for me to put two coherent thoughts together when I take them. I am finding that I value my brain too much to do that to it unless I really have no option.

But all in all, I can tell that I am getting better. My pain level has dropped and I can use my arm more than I could a week ago. I am hoping that this is boding well for me to continue with my plans to go backpacking bright and early Sunday morning. It is a short backpack into a nice alpine lake in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness area. I can do that ... I can do that ...

Besides what are painkillers for?

Just Connie

No comments: