Monday, April 10, 2017

Late Night Death Call

I got called by the Fire Hall last night to respond to an elderly lady who had died in her home during her nap. When people die at home there are protocols that must be followed by the county responding. In our case we have two different counties within the city limits of Willamina. The City has a contract with Yamhill Co for law enforcement protection. Yamhill Co is called once the paramedics have called that the patient was DOA.

Last night all the Yamhill Co Deputies were tied up on a domestic call on the other dude of the county. It was an hour and a half before the Yamhill deputy was cleared to come to us. But he got the ball rolling as I worked with the family on finding the funeral home that the deceased had made arrangements with. We were able to find the company and at least alert them they would be heading down to Willamina from Portland. It took another hour and a half for the deputy to gather information, contact the Polk County Meducal Examiner and be wrapping things up do we could call the funeral home to have them head this way.

By this time I had been on the scene 4 hours, both ambulance crews were pcalled out and then the deputy was called out as well. To their credit, all of them, checked to make sure I was comfortable being left on the scene with the family by myself. Which I was in this case. So they left me extra radios and told me to call if there was any problems.

So for the next hour I spent with the family as they spent time with their loved one before the Funeral Home came. We laughed and cried and they told me about her life. That is always precious times with families.

But finally I knew I needed to head home, and still the funeral home was not here. But the family seemed comfortable waiting on their own, and they had a great support with each other, so I hugged everyone and said goodbye.

As I have reflected on the evening, it reminds me that this is pastoral work on the front lines where people are broken and needy and we can share such abundant love with them as they walk the journey through sorrow. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve. It is an honor and a privilege.

And you never know what is happening next ...

Just Connie

No comments: