Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Open Road

Yesterday was a beautiful day, one of those rare days we get sometimes in April. I decided it would be a good time to get outside on my motorcycle. Of course the battery was dead, so I had to charge it and I needed gas and my neighbor came to my rescue. But eventually it started and stayed started. For 20 glorious minutes I rode up and down the hill and around the side streets, making sure that it was running well. Everything was going well so I pulled out onto Main Street and accelerated and .... It died. It died and would not start again.

Sighing I pushed it over to the curb and called my v handy neighbor Phil who I knew was at home working in his driveway. Unfortunately his phone was not with him, so the 9 phone calls I made and the 5 text messages were a complete waste of time. So then I called my other dependable mechanical genius, who was still at work in McMinnville. He said he would be back in town in about 45 minutes or so and if I had not found help he would swing by and see what he could do.

So for the next hour I sat on my bike by the side of the road, answered Facebook messages asking if I was still stranded and tried to look like I was not completely and absolutely clueless. (Which I was). About 50 minutes into my wait the man who owns the saw shop noticed I was sitting there and asked if I was broken down. When I introduced myself, he not only knew me, but knew where I lived! I love a small town! He was on his way out and could not stay to help, but it was about then that Ralph pulled up.

I was impressed when Ralph actually got it started, but sad when it would not stay started when you accelerated. Ralph finally decided he would need to tow me home. That was a lot of fun, I would be towed again in a heart beat. It only took me going around one corner that I learned to keep the tow rope taunt.

But I was finally deposited into my driveway where my neighbor Phil met us. The fellas think it might be a fuel filter, me I have no idea. I just know it is not running. So that will be one of my projects for the next week or two. Get my bike fixed! Because I need to be riding .. It is calling me!

Perhaps I will even learn a little something about fixing my bike in the meantime. I can actually charge it myself now ... Well after I borrow a charger I can. I have also been told I need a decent Phillips screw driver. That was after my neighbor had watched me taking the panel off with my Philips screw driver. But I guess I am learning and hopefully soon I will hit the open roads again.

I wonder how long this weather is going to last ...

Just Connie


No comments: