Sunday, December 23, 2012

Alone for Advent

I cried this morning. I did not plan on it but I did. This year each of the pastoral families took a week to present and light the Advent wreath. That seems very easy but as my day ti light the wreath got closer it grew into something very big. The more I thought about it ... the more that I dreaded lighting the Advent Wreath by myself. Out of all of the pastors, I was the only one who had no family to stand with them. it just seemed to highlight my aloneness this year and frankly it hurt.

This morning was my Sunday to light the wreath and as I stood before the congregation I told them I did not want to do it. As I shared honestly I began to cry and that is when God began to whisper in my ear. I looked around the congregation at the family that God had given me. I was filled with such a sense of love and gratitude as I looked at those dear faces and in that moment I knew that I did not stand alone.

And not being alone .... that is a very good thing.

Just Connie

No comments: