Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Friends

Friendship is really important to me. The times in my life when I have flourished the most I have had friendships that not only helped me be me ... but helped me be more than me. There have been seasons in my life when I have not had many friends around me. Those are the times when I have made a concerted effort to grow some friends.

That process of growing friends is challenging. It feels risky and it requires investment and transparency. I have not always done well at that. Sometimes in my hurt I have huddled in my loneliness and refused to risk anything. At other times I have reached beyond my comfort and open my life to other people and when I have ... I have been so blessed.

Last night I met with two people who are so very important to me. I met both of them while I was working at the Mission. One I first came to know as a client and then a friend and then a co-worker. The other I hired as my assistant. Both of them have become trusted confidantes and friends over the years. Last night as we laughed, teased and shared I was so blessed by them. Blessed by how good it felt to be with them, blessed by the deep abiding trust we have for each other and blessed by the love they are willing to share so abundantly.

Today as I have thought back over last night, it still brings a smile to my face. It has also brought to mind the people who do not have these kind of relationships in their lives. How very sad that is. I cannot imagine trying to live by myself. Life is often so hard and so painful I know that I cannot do it without my friends alongside me.

Today I am filled with gratitude for my friends ... the ones I have now and those that are yet to come. You are a precious gift and I never want to take that for granted.

Just Connie

No comments: