Monday, October 14, 2013

My Roofing Crew

I looked around at my roofing crew. There was a pastor (me) a firefighter/paramedic and a logger. I have to admit that at that point my heart rate sped up and my stomach clenched in a knot. Some how we had a lot of roof to tear off and replace in just two days.

My crew was responsible for tearing the old roofing off and replacing any rotten boards that needed it. How hard could that be right? The tear off was pretty simple, it just took hard work. But the replacing boards was ... well downright scary. First of all, the roof was incredibly rotten. So rotten that we had trouble finding safe spots to stand where we would not fall through the roof. Then there were the skylights, the vents, the dormers ... well you begin to get the picture. The other complication was that we were way short on replacement sheathing. It was on realizing that when I wondered if I could find someone else to supervise this job.

However, I began tearing off the old roofing with my crew while I contemplated what I could do to fix some of our problems. I began to send out e-mails and posting pleading for help on the job and people began to trickle in. Then I came to the realization that my logger was incredibly good with a skill saw and figuring out all of those angles and special cuts. So he was put in charge of getting the sheathing back on while the fireman and I worked to tear things off.

The three of us worked for 10 hours that day trying to get as much done as we could. Then I went home and began making phone calls. The next morning I was blessed and encouraged as a steady stream of volunteers began to come in. The school even sent a crew of kids to help with the tear off. And by the end of day 2 we had half of the house done. It was ready for the roofer to come and begin to lay the felt and the new roof down.

Now this week, we will hit the roof again and begin the tear off on the back half on the house. I really think that this part will go faster than the first half did. I am praying for less rot and I know that it will be simpler in terms of angles and extras we have to cut around. And I have two more days to recruit as many people as I can.

Though the work is hard, dirty and makes you really sore, I have enjoyed the challenge. I have also enjoyed the break in normal routine to do something a bit out of the norm. I think it makes me a healthier pastor to get out from behind my desk and work side by side with members of the community.

Though for something healthy .... it sure hurts a lot the next day.

Just Connie

No comments: