Sunday, October 6, 2013

Oh No!

I had an "Oh no" moment yesterday. Like most "Oh no" moments it was too late by then to change anything.

The sun was shining bright as the men and I headed to Aldersgate Camp Ground to cut up some downed trees. This is a job that we do frequently and I thought the exercise and camaraderie would be perfect for my second to the last day of my vacation. We worked steadily for several hours when my leather work gloves ripped out across the palm and finger. One of the men gave me his extra glove to protect my hand as I loaded log rounds into the hydraulic splitter. The glove worked for protection but had about 3 inches too much finger which cut down a bit on functionality.

Everything was going perfectly until the moment the splitter grabbed ahold of the extra material on the glove and pulled my hand down between the log and the splitter. I was able to pull most of my hand away except for one finger. And that was my "Oh no" moment. By then the guy running the splitter was hollering and trying to slam the splitter into reverse as I kept trying to pull away.

As the splitter finally began to reverse, I pulled my hand free saying "I'm fine, I'm fine." But as they drew my glove off it was apparent that though I was very fortunate and blessed that it was not worse, I had not been quite fast enough. My finger was quickly swelling and turning purple with long scrapes down both the front and the back. Laughing I pointed out, "I did not think it was broken and it was completely my fault."

So today, I have a large, extremely sore purple finger. I also have plans to get some better work gloves that fit well for the next trip with the guys. I am also reflecting on how fast things can go wrong and how blessed I truly am.

"Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you." Psalm 84:4

And I am thinking that blessed is a pretty good way to start the day.

Just Connie

No comments: