Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Buy Local

My pellet stove stopped working almost two months ago. For a month I hunkered down and tried to decide what I was going to do. Then I finally marched myself down to the hardware store and purchased a stove. I was really nervous about ordering a stove. I was afraid that it would not be a good one, that it would not fit. it really scared me to make that big a decision on my own.

But I took the step and ordered it. It came in in several weeks ago. The first thing that I noticed was that it was smoking. We kept working on it and someone finally mentioned to our local hardware store that I could not use it yet. The came to my house and looked at it, gave their opinion on what was wrong and then sent someone over the next day to install it with all new stove pipes.

I have been blown away by how incredible the hardware store has been. They have gone out of their way to try to make this work for me. It reminds me of the value of a small town and shopping local. I made a commitment several years ago to shop local whenever I could. Even if I could get it cheaper somewhere else I still buy it local. My decision to buy local has blessed me over and over again. First of all by the friendships I have developed with our local business owners and then by things like this. They really go over and above trying to help.

I use this as an example of why we should support our local businesses. The amazing thing is that in the long run, the person we are truly helping is ourselves.

And even better .... I have heat again!

Just Connie

No comments: