Monday, December 2, 2013

Month of Gratitude


I think gratitude is an integral part of living a contented and happy life.   I am finding that gratitude changes things. It changes me, my viewpoint and how I interact with others. For the past few years I have chosen to post things I am thankful for every day in the month of November on Facebook. I thought I would put my entire month down here.
Day 1 - Today I am thankful for the gift of friendship which survives through the years. To each and everyone of my friends I am very thankful for you.

Day 2 - On Day 2 of my Month of Gratitude, I am thankful for the two children that God gave me. After years of prayer and sorrow God answered the prayer of my heart and entwined our lives together. How grateful I am to be called Mom. I give thanks for my beautiful daughter Joy Schulte and for my son Tony Aunspaugh. You are both a continued answer to prayer and a blessing to me.

 Day 2 Continued - An extra note of gratitude today .... Thank you Lord, for helping me find my phone! My "everything" is on that phone and I am sooooo grateful that the lost has been found.
Day 3 - I am grateful for the freedom to worship as I choose and not as the "state" chooses. It is a gift that generations of men and women have fought to give to me and I am grateful for their sacrifice

Day 4 - I am thankful for my parents, For their unfailing love and support through the years. For the storybook upbringing they gave me and the strong moral household they provided for me. They are incredible loving and giving people that have blessed me every day of my life.

Day 5 - I am thankful for the beauty of nature all around me. It is beauty that refreshes and restores when life gets tough. It is a beauty that draws me close to God and reminds me that the world is not about me

Day 6 - I am thankful for my sister Toni Irish. I am thankful for creativity and hospitality that she shares so freely with the family. I am blessed and challenged by how different we are

Day 7 - I am thankful for laughter. Early this morning a mouse ran across my hand as I was getting a towel from the cupboard and somehow my body was hijacked by a shrieking screaming woman. My son jumped out of bed and came to save me from what he was sure was an ax murderer with a gun in each hand. As I stood there on the top of bathtub and looked at my son with his guns drawn, I tried to tell him it was a vicious life threatening gargantuan mouse …. As big as a goat!. As he looked at me in disbelief ... that is when the laughter began. I am still laughing .... and that is a pretty good way to start the day.

Day 8 - I am thankful for ministry. I am so grateful for the opportunity to express the call of God in so many diverse ways. I believe I have the best "job" in the world.

Day 9 - I am thankful for the community I live in. I love the warm loving people, the support and help they offer so freely. I love walking into businesses and knowing the owners and staff by name. I love the way that so many committees and groups are networked together. I love these people and I am thankful to live here!

Day 10 - I am thankful for the congregation I serve. I appreciate their love and support, their vision and their hard work. I also am grateful for the way they have invited me into their lives and families. Every day I give thanks to God weaving our lives and hearts together

Day 11 - First of all I want to thank God for answering the cry in my heart and 27 years ago bringing a tiny, curly blonde headed baby into my life. She still blesses and challenges me and I am so very proud of her. She has grown into an incredible woman. I love you!

Day 11 Continued - I am also grateful today for the men and women who generously and sacrificially choose to serve our country. Their service has made a difference through the generations and makes a difference today. Many have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we would live in freedom. My hope is that I would never take that for granted but live in thankfulness every day for the gift they give us. Secondly, I give thanks for the men and women who so generously and sacrificially have served our country. Their service has made a difference through the generations and makes a difference today. May I never take that gift for granted but may I always live in gratitude.

I am also grateful today for the men and women who generously and sacrificially choose to serve our country. Their service has made a difference through the generations and makes a difference today. Many have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we would live in freedom. My hope is that I would never take that for granted but live in thankfulness every day for the gift they give us.


Day 12 - I would like to give thanks for the unexpected blessings that God gives to us so freely. Sunday I was surprised and blessed to have very "old friends" Cliff Watt and Carolyn Watt in church. That surprise visit filled my heart with such joy that it still makes me smile when I think about it. God is soooo good!

Day 13 - I would like to give thanks for medical Doctors, in particular my doctor. His knowledge, caring, committed involvement in our community is both a blessing and a challenge to me

Day 14 - I am very thankful for my companion Hope Puppy. She makes me laugh, loves me unconditionally and sticks with me without fail. I am so grateful for the day my neighbor boy took all his Christmas money and bought her for me.

Day 15 - I am thankful for heat. My pellet stove has been down for the count and the new one will not be here for another week. After a long cold week, I had a friend bring a heater to me last night. I am very grateful to have some heat in the house.

Day 16 - I am thankful for technology. For the many ways that it makes my life easier and brings information instantly to my fingertips. Also for the ways that it keeps me connected with friends, family and colleagues

Day 16 Continued - I am also thankful that 28 years ago I sat in an adoption agency and had a tiny little girl placed in my arms. That day of Joy continued to bless me over and over again. I will forever be grateful for the gift God gave me that day.

Day 17 - I am thankful for people willing to use their gifts and serve others. Today singers, instrumentalists, teachers, bakers, cooks and so many others will use their gifts to worship, to guide, lead and celebrate. Each of you bless me over and over again.

Day 18 - Today I am thankful for music, that draws me close to God, helps me express the feelings of my heart and lifts me up

Day 19  - I am thankful for the people who are willing to come along side and help me, both in ministry and in life. You are a wonderful example of Christ's call to serve and you bring joy and encouragement to me.

Day 20  - I am thankful for the handsome young man who fixed my fence on the back of my property. I would say he takes after his mother but that seems a bit self-serving (since he is my son). Thank you Tony for helping me today.

Day 20 Continued As I was trying to wrestle the over full recycling bin across the street, the bin fell over spilling paper and cardboard everywhere ... and right in front of a dump truck. It was so ridiculous I started laughing as I stood in the middle of the street in a pile of paper and cardboard in front of the truck. I was still laughing when the dump truck driver got out and helped me pick everything back up and get the bin upright and put away. I am thankful for his kindness and the opportunity to meet a very nice man.

Day 21 - I am thankful for the gorgeous cold frosty day. The sun glittering on the ice turned the world into a shimmering rainbow of colors. I am so grateful for the beautiful world that God gave us to enjoy and care for.

Day 22 - I am thankful for the little 3 year old boy who calls me Noni. My grandson is the spitting image of his father and as I spend time with him it takes me back 25 years.

Day 23 - Thankful today for the chance to rest and renew ...

Day 24 - This morning I am thankful for the wonderful blessing of having a washer and dryer. When you are awakened at 5:00 because the dog has just thrown up on you, it gives you a new and deep appreciation of those common appliances

Day 25 - I am thankful for God's love which sustains me, comforts me and transforms me.

Day 26 - I am grateful for the way that God continually brings restoration in my life. The things that Satan stole and meant to destroy me with, God uses to build something strong and beautiful.

Day 27 - Today I am thankful for my home. A quiet haven in the midst of the storm.

Day 28 - Spending a quiet day at home reflecting and thinking. I have much to be thankful for. Today I am thankful for the chance to quiet myself enough to remember and give thanks

Day 29 - I am thankful for friends who are still working to get my pellet stove working and have not given up yet.

Day 30 - I am thankful for God’s love which is showered out on me in so many ways, through family, friends and even pets. Thank you for love!

No comments: