Saturday, May 6, 2017

Rough Treatment Week

I had a rough treatment on Tuesday. Everything started off normally enough. I took my two rounds of pre meds, loaded the syringe and tubing, inserted the needles and went and laid down. I woke up tow hours later and my treatment should have been finished, only to find out that it had not hardly begun. Something went wrong with the pump that pumps the medicine through the tubing. The pump was not working, I looked at dismay at the malfunction pump, and then remembered that I had squirreled a couple of extra pumps away when they had changed my treatment and sent new ones out.

So with all the tubes and needles and useless ump I drug the ladder into the bathroom and climbed up to dig through the upper cupboard I had thrown the extra medical supplies in. Yes! There was a new pump! So I unhooked the old pump and hooked up the new pump and with relief, heard it clicking away indicating that it was working. However, it was with dismay that I realized that this completely threw all of my pre meds out of synch with the treatment. Instead of being 1 and 2 hours before treatment, the meds would now be 3-4 hours before treatment. Knowing there was not much I could do at this point I went back to bed to sleep through the rest of the treatment.

But by the end of treatment I was nauseous and throwing up. And I have thrown up for the last 4 days. Achy, miserable and fighting other side effects I was reminded why I hated treatment so much last time I was on it. The good news is that it was clear evidence that they are doing a really good job of controlling the symptoms this time. I need to thank both my pulmonologist and my immunologist for that.

I think I am finally done with the throwing up. I am still a bit green around the edges but I have kept down my morning toast and so far the lunch I just ate which was my first real food in 5 days.

I remain thankful for the life this treatment is giving me. And even though at times I chaff against the time it takes and sometimes the sheer misery of the treatments, I am still glad. I have also been blessed by the faithful who have been praying for me, making sure I had 7-up and the food I needed and even carrying in pellets for my pellet stove. I am truly blessed in so many ways.

God is good all the time, even on rough treatment weeks .... or I can say especially on rough treatment weeks.

Just Connie

No comments: