Sunday, July 23, 2017

Reality

The reality of the increased treatments have been that I have struggled a bit more with lingering side effects. But overall I thought I had been coping fairly well. I thought that right up until Friday night.

I had a good friend take me out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant that I like in McMinnville. Things were going great right up until the time I got sick during dinner. But still I thought I had it handled and would be able to get home without admitting that I was sick. We were on the way home, when I knew I was not going to make it home. I was able to choke out, "I think you better pull over, I am going to be sick". You really find out who your friends are when there is throwing up involved. He was amazingly kind and considerate. I got to laughing because it suddenly seemed so silly. I told him that he could tell everyone that I couldn't hold my liquor! We both laughed, he bought me diet 7-up, handed me a bag to throw up in and we headed back home.

I was able to get all the way home without socially embarrassing myself anymore than I already had and without decorating the inside of his new car. (Thank you God). As I have reflected on that evening several things stick out to me. First of all, I am very thankful for the compassion and kindness of friends. I would never make it through treatment with it. Secondly, I am very thankful for laughter. I know I could not do this without it. It raises my spirits, helps put things in perspective and brings such joy in this journey. Thirdly, I am very thankful for the drugs that help me cope with the side effects and for Drs who have made it a priority to keep me as side effect free as possible.

Laughter and thankfulness is a pretty good combination.

Just Connie


No comments: