Monday, July 31, 2017

Chemo Friend

I sighed as I followed the nurse into the chemo lab. For the next hour I would receive my drugs and then wait to make sure there are no complications. As I walked into the room however, I,was surprised to see my friend Dwight who I met as we were getting our very first treatments. There was a chair open next to him so I sat down with a smile as I greeted him.

Over then next hour we talked and laughed and I heard a bit about his life and work. I told him a bit about what I was facing. We talked and laughed and found many points of common interests. The time just flew by so fast.

I found myself leaving treatment that day with a big smile on my face. It had been so wonderful to spend that time with him. I found myself thanking God as I walked out for weaving our lives together.

I find those blessings come at the most unexpected times and I am truly grateful for how it enriches my life, brings me encouragement and reminds me that I am loved. Because that can be hard to hang onto through this process. There is so much that is discouraging, painful and kind of yucky that it came seem that is what life is all about.

But God continues to show me, that life is rich and full and I am surrounded by people who love me. The joy that brings strengthens me as I continue this journey. There are good things ahead and I am confident that Dwight at the chemo lab will not be the only surprise friend I am given as I continue to move ahead.

And that makes my heart very happy!

Just Connie

No comments: