Saturday, September 2, 2017

Lung Procedure Day

I called my favorite taxi cab driver for a ride to the Santiam hospital for my lung procedure. I always have so much fun with Ginny and she unfortunately has a lot of experience with hospitals and how things go.

So at 8am she came and picked me up and we headed to Stayton where my pulmonologist is head of pulmonology and internal medicine at the hospital. As always it is a joy to check in there. Very nice people and a very quick system. Before I knew it I was being showed to my room and they were prepping me. I of course got the gorgeous and fashionable hospital gown, booties and blue cap for my hair. Then they began what is often the big challenge, getting my IV in. They got one on the back of my hand which failed within minutes, so they headed to the opposite arm and was able to place one there. They gave me a nebulizer treatment, sprays for my sinuses nd kept getting things ready.

Soon the anesthesiologist was there and seemed a bit surprised to have been called in. I was not elderly, didn't have lung cancer and did not have a huge case of pneumonia. He explained that this procedure often does not use an anesthesiologist and general anesthesia. but also explained that my doctor had specifically requested it. (which I knew he was going to because he had told me) So I signed all the papers and soon they were wheeling me into the surgical suite.

They gave me yet more steroids, and I looked around at amazement at a room full of people. They discussed what anesthetics I would be getting and then they gave me the first does, my doctor asked me to hold up my right thumb and when I did he said give her more, that happened three more times before I was under.

The next thing I remember was waking up back in my room. I was having a neb treatment, crying and had a pounding headache. Obviously I had been awake for a while since I was holding the nebulizer but I had not memory of it at all. I felt like my body had been taken over by aliens.

Over the next couple of hours, they worked at getting my oxygen levels back up and finally around 3:30 they released for the hour long trip back home.

I am so very grateful for my friend Ginny who gave up her entire day to be with me. Thankful for the very kind nurses (and no Ginny I do not think that male nurse was flirting with me) Thankful for the skill and expertise of all the doctors who participated in the procedure.

And now I wait to hear for the results and for the cultures to grow to see what if anything needs to be treated. Glad to have this procedure behind me, especially since my lungs are telling me they are not happy with me this morning.

But I am fully expectant that there are good things ahead,

Just Connie

No comments: