Monday, March 12, 2012

Complaint

I want to complain .... it is one of those silly little hardships of being a single woman in ministry that sometimes wears on me. For most men in ministry, on potluck Sundays their wives prepare the meal their family will bring to the potluck. For most of my male counterparts all they have to do is sail in the door and preach and teach on Portluck Sundays. But for me potluck Sundays are a bit different.

It usually starts on the day before when I bake a chicken and strip it down for use in my Potluck dish. That is when I usually bake the cake as well. Then on Sunday morning I jump out of bed and get myself ready, then I head to kitchen and begin to cook the noodles for the casserole and frost the cake. I usually spend about an hour frantically trying to get everything finished so it is fresh for the potluck. By the time that I load everything into the car and head to the church it has already been a full morning.

Yesterday was like that for me with an additional complexity. After the potluck we were having a pie auction. That meant that not only did I have potluck dishes to prepare but I had pies to create.. I spent Saturday in a flurry of baking trying to get ready. Of course that was after I had taught my Saturday membership class. I fell into bed Saturday night exhausted and not as far along as I would have liked to be with all my dishes.

But finally, Sunday found me headed to the church with my extra large casserole, my cake, two cream pies, my briefcase and of course my purse. Just getting into the church was a major undertaking. And of course it was raining buckets so I got very wet as I carted everything into the church. I put my casserole in the oven, the pies in the fridge and headed towards my office for my normal Sunday mayhem.

But somehow it all got done. The Sunday school class was taught, the sermon preached, the potluck eaten and of course the pie auction all auctioned off. I headed home tired but satisfied at the over $850 that had been raised for the Bible Quizzing Team at a very fun event.

But I would just like to say for all you male pastors out there ...... "You have it soooooo easy!".

Just Connie

No comments: