Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fire Department Thoughts

I got to take a behind the scenes look at our Fire Department today. I met with the Fire Chief to go over my responsibilities as part of the Fire Board. We went over budget, policies and procedures. It was great look at workings of a real live Fire Department.

After we finished all of the paperwork and general overview, the Chief gave me a full tour of everything. We looked at the day room where the firemen and paramedics relax, the dorm rooms, the meeting rooms, the call center and then he took me into the bays where all the fire trucks and ambulances are kept. I felt like a child on a field trip. I have to say that there was something in me that wanted to get up on the Fire Trucks and turn on the sirens and lights.

But I somehow managed to keep myself in line and not embarrass myself. In truth I ended up being amazed at the quality of the Fire Department, the equipment and the personnel. And I admit to feeling privileged to be able to have this chance to serve with them.

But .... someday .... I hope I get to ride a fire truck. I think the little kid in me does not live very far under the surface.

Just Connie

No comments: