Friday, March 23, 2012

Following the Call

Ever since high school all I have ever wanted to do was to be a pastor. The seed was planted in such a casual way. I was at a friend's house and we were sitting in a circle with the grownups who were discussing the sermon we had heard. Being who I was, I piped up with what I thought and Uncle Bud who was a Nazarene minister turned to me and said, "You should consider being a pastor". I was stunned. I was not even sure that women were allowed to be pastors. I didn't even fully understand what it was that pastors did. I can remember being shocked into silence.

But in the months that followed God planted such a strong desire in me to follow Him. And in the following grew a passion for ministry. While in college I served on church boards, led worship, headed up Campus Ministry projects and threw myself into church life. I found a joy and a rightness in all of the ministry opportunities that I explored.

In the years since then I have been privileged to not only be called to ministry but to be offered places to serve. But even in those opportunities have been those times when I have been rejected because of my gender. I often meet women who are called and trained but have no place to serve and it always fills me with a thankfulness for the doors that have been opened to me as it also fills me with a sorrow for those who are never given the chance to fulfill their call.

I pray for the day when God's people can serve regardless of gender or race. I am committed to giving the marginalized a place to be heard, a place to grow and a place to serve. I pray as well that I will never stand in someone's way as they respond to the call.

Imagine what a difference it could make .....

Just Connie

No comments: