Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I Sprung a Leak

I sprung a leak today. I did not plan on it and I certainly was not prepared for it ... but nevertheless, I sprung a leak.

It was a bright sunny cold afternoon so my son and I packed up the dogs and headed down to walk around the pond. The swallows were swooping and diving, the ducks and the geese were swimming around letting us know that spring was in the air.

As I walked I threw a stick for Hope Puppy to chase. The game soon led her into the pond where she happily swam after her stick. I laughed as I picked up the stick as she galloped at my side hopping up and down, spraying water everywhere. And that is when it happened .... as she was hopping up and down her tooth caught my hand. I stood there looking down in disbelief as the blood began to drip off my hand. I was trying to be somewhat unobtrusive as I applied pressure to try to slow the bleeding down. But as my son turned around and caught sight of me, the look on his face told me that I was not unobtrusive enough.

Giving up trying to hide it, I began searching for anything I could wrap around it to help slow down the bleeding. The only thing I had in my pocket was ..... the plastic bag I brought in case Hope Puppy needed a rest stop. As I wrapped the bag around my finger I began to laugh .... it was just too ridiculous. My son eyed me warily and asked me if I was feeling light headed. As I continued to giggle, I pulled the bag tight  and we headed back to the car.

Once back in the car I discarded the very gory looking plastic bag, grabbed some diaper wipes and began to wrap them around my hand. As I tried to slow the bleeding, it dawned on me that I had gone from the doggie waste bags to diaper wipes neither of which I remember being utilized in my first aid classes. I laughed all the way home.

Eventually we made it home and I was able to scrub and disinfect all the bloody parts. Then I had to clean up the car and the bathroom both of which looked like an axe murderer had stopped by. Now I am sitting here in front of the fire with a very nice pressure bandage keeping everything where it is supposed to be.

Who knew that walking could be so hazardous?

Just Connie

No comments: