Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Community

I like to be involved in the community. Over the years I have been here, I have been integrated and welcomed in a way that has blessed my heart. It has also given me challenges and fills many hours with service and meetings. Here is a list of some of the things I am doing in the community.

West Valley Fire Board
I am an elected West Valley Fire Board Member. We meet monthly to give oversight to Fire and Emergency services in our area. We have two Fire Stations, a fleet of vehicles and a large staff of Firemen, Paramedics and Interns. In between Board meetings I sign checks and try to stay involved with what is happening at the Stations.

West Valley Fire Department Chaplain
I serve as a Chaplain for the Fire Department. I get called when there is a death with family members present or if Fire Department personnel need support.

Chamber of Commerce
I am Board Secretary for the Chamber of Commerce. We meet every Wednesday morning for laughter and fun. We also get a lot of work done. We are a working board and we always have projects that we are working on. We just finished up the town Gazebo a year ago and we are beginning a playground down at the fishing pond. We also do several fundraisers a year that enables us to help a lot of different groups and non profits in our area.

EID - Economic Improvement District
I am Board Secretary for the EID. This groups strives to improve the economic vitality of our downtown/main street. It is a tax based entity and so there are always a lot of rules and regulations to what we do. But we also have projects going on. We are improving an old rail bus that has drawn a lot of attention over the years. We give out low interest loans for outside improvements to our Main Street businesses. We put together and hang flower baskets along Main Street in the summer/Fall months. Besides those projects we are always working on something.

West Valley Community Campus
I serve as Board Chairman for the Campus. Several years ago a local business man bought the Old Willamina High School and wanted to give it to the community for use as a Community Center. I worked with the owner to set up a non profit board that will renovate the building and use it to strengthen what is happening in the Community. This has been a huge project. The school is 44,000 square feet of classrooms that have been neglected for decades. there are sports fields and out buildings set on 7 acres of land. But the potential for something wonderful to happen here is very exciting to me. We are in the process of applying for our 501-C3. Things slowly keep moving ahead.

Kiwanis
I am also a Board Member for the West Valley Kiwanis Club. This is a club that focuses on children and community service. We do everything from hosting the annual Fishing Derby, to Highway Cleanup (4x a year) to the Annual Duck Race.

SMART - Start Making a Reader Today
I am a volunteer for SMART at Willamina Grade School. That means I head to the school every week to read. I love this time with the children.

Ford Family Foundation Leadership Training
For the last two years I have been part of cohort 2 which has been hard at work in the community. After 6 months of training we were released to accomplish our project which was to place benches around our communities. We placed 6 beautiful artistic benches designed by Stastny Gardens in Sheridan, Grand Ronde and Willamina. They money has all been raised, the benches have all been placed and how we are in the process of getting the group together for our graduation celebration.

FFA - Future Farmers of America
I volunteer with FHA every year and do mock interviews to help them prepare for competition. I also attend various functions with them and support the program in any way that I can fit in.

These are the things that get me out into the community and help ensure that I am not immured behind my desk all day long. These areas of service have broadened me and helped me to connect with people in the community which would never walk through the doors of the church. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve and grateful for the friendships that have grown out of these areas of service.

This should keep me busy for a while ....

Just Connie

No comments: