Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Garden Time

One of the wonderful things that happened while I was out on medical leave is that the local Kiwanis group started a new project and included me. Their project is to build raised beds around town and get people growing their own veggies whenever possible. I was ecstatic until I heard it was for the elderly and disabled and then I smacked the man who came to put to the bed in.

However, regardless of the affront to my dignity, the bed is in. Today they put the last of the compost in and I can start plant things in the next couple of months. I am very excited. I have not done any gardening since I lived in Gladstone 15 years ago and that was primarily herbs and tomatoes. I am planning on growing broccoli, carrots, cabbage, green onions, peppers, lots and lots of good stuff.

I will be spending some time with graph paper to determine just how I am going to plant everything. I am also going to add a couple of Pumpkin plants (outside of the raised bed). And the tomatoes will be out of the raised bed as well.

My biggest concern is two fold, first will I be able to keep the deer out of it? And secondly will I keep it watered like I will need to. I am notoriously bad about feast or famine with all of my plants. The deep problem I think I have mostly worked out, between the dogs and the garlic I think I will  be able to drive them off. But the watering issue is purely a "me" issue. Hopefully I will not get sick like I did last year and I will be able to find people willing to water the garden when I am gone.

I think it is time to go and put on my overalls and get ready for the harvest .....

Just Connie

No comments: