Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Harsh Words

Harsh words hurt ... I have always known that, but this week I was reminded that harsh words hurt. As a pastor I am in a unique position in that people feel so safe with me they feel like they can say anything. Or perhaps it is that they know I will not respond with harsh words back to them. Sometimes it is very challenging to find the kind pastoral response when my humanness frankly wants to smack them upside the head.

This week I found myself sitting and listening to someone say some pretty harsh things to me. I have to admit that I used one of my very favorite pastoral ploys. I smiled and pretended I did not understand what was being said to me. I have found that most people do not want to be pinned down to their words, so they are seldom willing to spell it out in very clear terms when you ask for clarification. They would much rather dance around with vague innuendos. I knew what she was trying to say, but I refused to let her issue become my issue. ... at least that was my plan.

We parted on fairly good terms, but I have to admit that in the days since I have struggled with what she said and what her meaning was behind her words. Even though I know that it came out of her own fear and insecurities .... the words still hurt.

I want that hurt to motivate me to do what is right. And that means I need to be praying. Praying that God will bless my "enemy" and that God will give me His heart in this. I do not want anger or bitterness to take root. I want love to reign and for peace to be the outcome.


"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18
 
Just Connie

No comments: