Friday, May 10, 2013

Fire!

I took an unexpected ride last night that involved lights and sirens! It began with my monthly Fire Board meeting. This elected position is responsible for the oversight and management of the West Valley Fire Department. I love this volunteer position and it was my first meeting back after several months of being gone. At the close of the meeting I was sitting back and chatting with the Deputy chief and a couple of others when a Fire Call came through. The Deputy chief looked at me and said, "Want to go on a ride?" I looked down at my sandals and capris and pointed out that I was not dressed for it, to which he responded, "So ...don't fight the fire".

And that is how I found myself in the command vehicle heading out to a vehicle fire with the sirens screaming and the lights flashing. When I arrived at the scene he handed me a helmet and jacket so I could walk down on the scene. As I walked onto the scene the bystanders began clapping and calling out to me. It was pretty funny. I waved back at them as I took a look at what was left of the car. The fire had been put out in minutes but the car was only a smoking melted shell. I watched the crew as everyone went about assigned tasks. I was impressed as I watched their calm demeanor and their kind interactions with bystanders. As I walked around the car with the Chief he explained the fire pattern to me and what they were extrapolating had happened.

As I rode back to the station (without the lights and sirens this time) I shared how impressed I was with how well the crew worked together. There was a good feeling among the crew that only comes when a scene is handled well and a job is done well.

It was as I was heading home from the station that I realized that besides a great experience and good memories I had brought something else home with me ... the unmistakable smell of burnt rubber  had permeated my hair and clothing.

It almost made me feel like a Fireman ....

Just Connie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.