Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Long Days

Sigh ... I am in the midst of a couple of 13 hour work days. I have to admit that I had a couple of them week too. They are the first really long days I have had to work since I came back from medical leave.

I am finding that people are always willing to fill up my schedule and it is usually not with frivolous things. It is with important things. So the trick I am finding is how to develop healthy boundaries for myself without shortchanging people that have very significant needs in their life. I am all too  aware that I cannot do it all, that it is not even healthy for me to attempt it and it is not corporately healthy for the church either.

Sometimes other people need to be freed to step in and help others. Sometimes they  (the client) just need to suffer the consequences of the choices they have been making and not be bailed out by myself or the church. And I have to admit that sometimes .... it is very hard to see where those lines should be drawn.

Right now I am trying to pile all of my appointments including counseling appointments into two days a week. Today was community meetings and staff meetings, tomorrow is counseling appointments. That makes for two very long and tiring days ... back to back days.

So far I am not feeling exhausted. I will have to see how I am feeling tomorrow. I might need to cut down on at least the evening appointments.

Sigh .... it is so much easier to talk about it ... than to actually do it.

Just Connie

No comments: