Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ropes Course

This last week has passed in a blur of activity. I had Annual Conference (which went very well) I was assigned another year to the church and community I love.

Following Annual Conference I met up with all of the other Pastors and our new Superintendent for a Ropes Course. I had never been on a Ropes Course before. It was team building and personally building for me.

Most of it I loved and while it was very physically demanding it was exciting and thrilling. One part I found downright terrifying was the giant swing. I climbed a 30 foot pole to a platform where you were harnessed to a cable over the canyon. You were supposed to step off the edge of the platform and be swung on the cable 80 some feet up in the air. I took one look at the first person plummeting off that platform and said ... "Nope, not me!"  But when they asked me if I wanted to climb the pole I of course said, "Yes but I am passing on the swing". So I climbed the pole which was surprisingly difficult. Once I got up there I affirmed yet again that I was not stepping off the edge. That is when the instructor offered to go in a tandem harness with me. As everyone on the ground was chanting my name, I succumbed to peer pressure and said "okay".

So we harnessed up together, wrapped our arms around each other and pushed off the edge of the platform. I have to admit that the first swing off the platform I was so scared I could not even scream. By the 2nd swing I had let go and was hanging upside down laughing. It was thrilling, exhilarating and wonderful.

I am so thankful that I did it. So thankful that I pushed through what scared me and did something that everything in me was saying that it was a really bad, bad idea. I am thankful for all of my colleagues who were cheering for me to win through. And thankful for the experience that the Superintendent gave us.

Yep ... thankful ... and sore!

Just Connie

No comments: